Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Look what I got!

A new armoire! And it was FREE!!


Last week was one full of blessings at a time when I really needed them!

Tuesday night, I went to the home of a family in my church. We were having a meeting for Kids Ministry, of which I am now on the lead team. I will be heading up our 1st-3rd grade class. I am really excited about the opportunity to take some ownership and responsibility in this area! While we were at the Gullette’s place, Christine pointed out their armoire and asked if we knew of anyone who would want it. Have I mentioned on here that I’ve been looking for an armoire?!?! I have had my TV and other entertainment junk sitting on the floor of my living area since I moved in July and have been on the lookout for an armoire – I like my TV to be hidden, if possible. But, I didn’t want to settle for something I wouldn’t like in 6 months and I didn’t want to spend a lot of money. I’d been looking in thrift shops and had found something a few weeks ago, but it was at a time I was really busy and couldn’t coordinate a time for the move. Anyway, I jumped on the opportunity for a FREE armoire!! I arranged for movers to pick it up on Saturday and deliver it to me. When I saw it last week, I thought it would serve its purpose, but I didn’t necessarily love it….I just couldn’t pass it up since it was free! But, now that I have it in place, I actually really, really like it! My place feels much more complete without all the junk on the floor!

Last week started off with dinner at Rosa Mexicana…another restaurant that has been on my list for a long time! Good Mexican right in my ‘hood – not so easy to find in NYC! I met my old roommate, Cathy, there. I know, I know, you all are totally shocked to hear that I went to dinner with Cathy! We’ve actually been out a couple of times since I moved. She really wants to keep in touch and I can handle her a lot better when I am not living with her and have the opportunity to prepare myself for the conversations she likes to have (it takes LOTS of prayer, y’all!). It’s much better than when I found myself being bombarded in my home by her worries and questions! Anyway, we had a pretty good time. She always wants to dissect the same issues with me – primarily, what is she going to be when she “grows up” and her faith. The conversation led me to telling her that although I have always felt like NYC is where God wants me during this time, I don’t feel like I’ve been fulfilling His purpose for me here. In fact, I’m not even sure at this point what His purpose is for me here at all. I’ve felt pretty purposeless and useless altogether. Anyway, she told me that I had really made a difference in her life and really complimented me and my faith. She sees me in a way I don’t see myself at all, but it definitely made me feel good!

Also at the meeting, JR, my pastor, mentioned that he had gotten wind of the fact that I’ve taken event classes. He wants me to help him put together a marriage conference he’s doing in November. He’ll concentrate on putting his materials together and I’ll head up coordinating all the other details for the weekend. This is right up my alley and I want to do a superb job so that he can feel like I can help with other things in the future!

I read a lot of blogs, y’all. Thank goodness for feeds!! I check my feed most days to see who has made a new post. I read friend’s blogs, acquaintance’s blogs, and friend’s of friend’s blogs. If you have a blog that is interesting and post often enough to keep my attention, I’ll add it to my feed! I read several blogs this week acknowledging the recent economic and natural disasters. The common tone throughout was one of hope. I am so encouraged to know so many people who place their hope in something so much greater than the things of this earth.

On that note, since I work around the corner from Lehman Brothers, I decided to walk by at lunch and check out any activity that might be going on. There were a lot of news trucks, but otherwise, things looked pretty normal. There was a random man standing out front who had painted a portrait of Fuld (Lehman’s CEO) and was allowing people to express their thoughts on the canvas. If you worked for Lehman, you got a green marker. If not, you got black. I found it interesting to read the comments of the Lehman workers – many of whom find themselves suddenly unemployed.

I was also blessed last week in that I got to have TWO great Mexican meals in one week. On Saturday night, I went with Rosella and Christina to Los Dados in the Meatpacking District. I didn’t realize until I got there that I had been before and immediately knew we were in for a treat! The restaurant was celebrating its birthday, which meant free margaritas. I’m pretty sure these are the only good margaritas I’ve had in NYC. They taste just like home. And the food? Yumm-o!!! I got mahi-mahi tacos that had some sort of sauce that was to-die-for. I gotta figure out how to do that at home!

So, that’s all. I started this week feeling encouraged, blessed, and hopeful. Not a bad place to be!

I know some of you have been patiently awaiting my Labor Day in Boston blog. I had a slight picture malfunction. It is corrected now and a blog will be posted soon!

9 comments:

jessica said...

The armoire looks great! I'm patiently awaiting more pics of your new apt.

Bethany said...

Gorgeous armoire!! How awesome!

Post a larger version of the Lehman pic so I can read some of the comments. I feel so badly for those people.

Me, Myself, and I said...

Beautiful! And I agree with Jessica...I want apt. pics!

Isn't it amazing how differently we see our selves!

And how exciting to get to event plan for real!

Tamara

Anonymous said...

How funny - I was going to ask for apt pics too, but I got beat to it. So far, I see you have a white or cream wall. And a bookcase. And a really great armoire! I think it looks really nice! That IS a blessing.

Kate said...

hi! that armoire story made me think of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine gets a steal on furniture on the street but then can't get it moved back to her place before someone steals it.

okay - random thought, I know.

glad that didn't happen to you. : )

Maggie said...

Did you go to the same restaurant that we went to with Ann? I think it was in the meatpacking district!

Susan said...

Yes, Maggie, same place! I really like that place!

Anonymous said...

Rosa Mexicana has great guacamole. I think that's actually where I got my recipe from. Glad you have a place to put the TV now. I know everyone else is jealous since I've actually gotten to see the new apt! As you guys probably can all guess it's very cute even though when I saw it she wasn't quite done moving in. I can't wait to see the progress when I'm back in NY in a couple of weeks.

Tonya

Susan said...

The guac at Rosa Mexicana was definitely good, however, Tonya, I think I like YOURS better! I've only had yours once, but man I loved it!