Sunday, August 05, 2007

Hot & Sunny Weekend

Finally - a hot and sunny weekend with no rain. I've been dying to work on my tan this summer and the opportunities have been few and far between. It was a sunny weekend and after a very busy July, it was a weekend where I had absolutely nothing to do. I decided to take advantage of it and head for the beach on Saturday. I chose to go to the Far Rockaways in Queens. I had not been there, but had heard it was a good beach and knew I could get there on the subway, rather than the train, which means it's only a $2 trip. It took longer to get there than I'd hoped and the beach wasn't quite as nice as the ones further up Long Island, but it served its purpose for me. I still can't believe the ocean and all this exists just a $2 subway ride from my apartment.





























On Saturday night, I went to see a FREE live performance at Lincoln Center. They have them outside the entire month of August and this was one I really wanted to see. It was the Paul Taylor Dance Company (no, Columbians, not THAT Paul Taylor). I've heard about this dance company since before I got here and had always been interested. It was amazing and the perfect night for an outdoor show. The dancing was beautiful and I couldn't believe I was seeing it all for free!

I saw Hairspray, the movie. It was a bit disappointing. I loved the musical when I saw it in Dallas and even more when I saw it here. I had high hopes for the movie, which is maybe why it let me down.

My great friends, Jenn & Todd hit the NYC on Tuesday night....cannot wait to see them! They'll spend 3 nights here, then I'll head to Philly with them where Jenn has a convention - she's a personal chef (how cool is that??).

2 comments:

jessica said...

Have you seen the original Hairspray-John Water's movie with Ricki Lake? Maybe you'd like that movie better, not sure. I haven't seen this remake of it.

Anonymous said...

I saw the new Hairspray movie and really liked it. I've seen the Ricki Lake version too but thought the new one was much better. I keep thinking I'm going to see it on Broadway one of these trips but hasn't happened yet. Maybe next trip?!?!

Tonya