I got locked out of my apartment last night for about an hour and it was quite an experience. I've never had an apartment where the door automatically locks behind you. I've always had to use my key to lock the door, thus, I always knew I had my keys with me. Here, all of my roommates and I have locked ourselves out on occasion, but there's always been someone home to call and let us in immediately.
My problem last night began when I left to go for a jog. I knew as soon as I shut the door that I didn't have my keys with me. I started knocking on the door because I knew Sharon was there- I had just seen her about 10 minutes prior. I knocked, and rang, and knocked and rang for who knows how long. Sharon had probably just gone to bed and I think she sleeps with heavy-duty earplugs since she sleeps right on the street when it's still day-time for everyone else. I would have called her because that usually wakes her up, but all I had with me were the clothes on my back and my Ipod. Not so helpful and I was feeling rather helpless. I began to get frustrated and tried to think through my options. I could borrow somebody's phone in the building, but who would I call? The only number I have memorized is my sister's in Dallas and that wasn't going to help much. I could go to Joy's and hang there until 1am when Sharon gets up to go, but Joy usually doesn't get home until late and who knows where she is now. I'd also have to walk to her place because I have no money and no metrocard. I could find Kristin...she's probably still at work....at The Journey office...they DO have computers there...but, I can't go there. If I could get to a computer, I could get to my email and maybe, just maybe, find the email Sharon sent me about a year ago with her phone number in it, then I could borrow a phone and call her. So, now it's down to finding a computer, that I can use for free. Where do they have free computers? The coffee shop down the street? No, you have to pay for those. Work...but, I don't have any of my security cards or even an ID to get in. Hmmm. Maybe I should have made some friends in my building by now, but I NEVER see anyone. Seriously, I have no idea who lives here except for 1 guy I see repeatedly.
About this time, a girl comes down the stairs. I'm wearing my bright orange t-shirt from the Katy Trail 5k that I ran 2 years ago (best 5k EVER...if you're in Dallas, it's TOMORROW and I highly suggest you go). Anyway, the girl stops and asks if I'm locked out. I say yes, explain that my roommate is there, but can't hear me. She offers her phone, I tell her I don't know any numbers. Then, she asks "Where's the Katy Trail?" I hesitate, because growing up in Missouri and living in Dallas, I know it's in both places, but figure she doesn't want that much information. I decide to go with Dallas. She's like "Are you FROM there??" And it turns out she's a Dallas girl as well...also moved up here about 1 year ago. She's quite a bit younger- a 2005 TCU grad. It was nice to make that connection-- she was on her way to drop her laundry off and I told her that if I was still standing there when she returned, I might ask for her help.
About that time, my next door neighbor, who I had never seen before, opens her door.
"Is that you banging on their door?"
"Well, it's MY door. I'm locked out. I know my roommate is in there."
"Oh, do you need to borrow my phone?"
"No. I don't know any numbers......Do you have a computer?"
"Yes. But, it's almost out of battery." (Lie-- it's okay, I don't blame her). "Can I look something up for you?"
"Well, I was just thinking that if I could get to my email, I could find some phone numbers."
"Hang on." Then, she let me in. She was really cute and so nice. I got on her computer and it took a while, but I found numbers for Sharon, Cathy (who I was pretty sure was out of town), and Joy. I tired Sharon first- left a message, then tried again to see if she'd pick up the second time. No luck. I tried Cathy-- she WAS out of town in Puerto Rico- no help there, and now I'd given the ultimate worrier a reason to worry. Final call- Joy. She didn't pick up, so I left a message explaining the situation and told her to swing by and rescue me. The neighbor was about to go out for a run, and I was starting to feel rather helpless again, so I tried Sharon one more time....she picked up.
Thank goodness!!! The whole ordeal last about an hour and I didn't get to go running because I had to leave to meet my Bible Study girls for dinner. It was quite an experience, but I met 2 cute, nice girls in my building. Hopefully, I'll see them around more often!
Morals of the story....get to know your neighbors- you never know when you might need them. Memorize some phone numbers. Give someone else an extra set of your keys...I started keeping an extra set in my purse and they've come in handy a few times when I've accidentally left my regular set inside, but this time I had NOTHING. I'll be making an extra set to give to Joy or Kristin. Don't delete old emails....I've been meaning to clean out my emails for a while now, but those year-old emails from Cathy and Sharon with their phone number sure did come in handy! Joy's I was able to find by looking at my Sprint bill online. Crazy!
5 comments:
Surfing blogs and came across yours. Funny, my SIL is from Houston, is named Susan and we lived it up for years in NYC. Enjoy it. It's sooooo much fun!
What's an SIL?
Sister In Law.
This is all very McGyver-ish of you, Susan. You're the one I want with me next time I get into a logistical jam.
i could never live in a place where the doors lock automatically as we've learned almost every time i visited Kate in Chicago.
Post a Comment