Monday, May 10, 2010

Kewpies Visit NYC

On Friday morning, the rest of the Kewpies began to arrive.  Maggie hiked over from Anne's place in Queens and Kelly and Kate flew in from Columbia & Chicago.  It was a great weekend!  I love that I live in a place where there are so many things to do and where people want to come visit - I can feel like I'm on vacation without venturing even 5 miles from my home. So, what did we do??

-- Once everyone made it to my place, we packed up a picnic lunch and headed to Central Park. It was a great day and we enjoyed sitting around a picnic table chatting. I'm not sure how long we were there, but I felt like we talked for a while...it was nice to just enjoy the time together and the pretty weather.

-- We spent the rest of the afternoon walking and shopping Columbus Avenue...my neighborhood. Our final stop was at Magnolia Bakery for cupcakes. It was Kate's birthday and cupcakes had been her one request! There are now FOUR Magnolia's in the city...crazy because when I moved here there was just the tiny one in the West Village. The one on the UWS is my favorite because it is the biggest and actually has some seating space. We snagged a table and sat and enjoyed our afternoon treats.

Me, Kate, Kelly
Maggie, Jessica

-- Friday night was dinner at Otto. I love this Mario Battali restaurant...you could argue that it is too crazy and loud, but that's part of what I like about it. It is fun with a group and the food is always great. The 5 Kewpies were joined by Anne and also Kate's college friend, Rita. Kate joked that it was more like a Blogger's Conference because out of the 7 of us, we have created 12 blogs (not all are still active). Pretty hilarious! It was a good night of food, wine, and conversation.

Maggie & Anne
Kelly, Jessica, Me
With Kate
How can you go wrong with all
that pizza, pasta, and wine?!?!
Freezing outside after dinner

-- After dinner, the Kewps stopped by Billy's Bakery on the way home for a little dessert. Actually, it ended up being a lot of dessert because most of us opted out of cupcakes and their slices of pie and cake are HUGE! I tried their Icebox Cake and while it was good, it didn't compare to the Peppermint Icebox Cake that Magnolia dishes up. Kate and Maggie both got the PB pie...it is so good.

-- Saturday morning brought breakfast at 202 Cafe. This place comes straight from Notting Hill and there is something about it that I just love. It feels so clean and fresh to me. The menu is fairly simple, but good. I started off by ordering 2 muffins for the table because they are so very good. We were joined by Kelly's brother and girlfriend which was a nice addition to our table conversation. Another good meal and time was had by all.




-- Saturday afternoon was spent shopping. Mood Fabric store (as featured on Project Runway) was a hit for all. This was also my first time to visit Mood.  I can't wait to go back with a project in mind!  We had fun running around the store and Maggie even spotted one of the former contestants shopping in there herself.


We're serious about choosing our fabric!

We also hit up the Chelsea flea market, which was a bit of a dud that day, although Maggie did find some pretty cute ear-screws there.
Kelly helping Maggie with her new earrings

From there we walked towards Union Square to go to ABC Home and Fishs' Eddy...which was another favorite of all. I think maybe every one of us bought something there. I do love that store.



-- Dinner took us to Serendipity. I have always loved their food, but I had only tried their sandwiches before. Maggie and I decided to split a sandwich and the Chicken Pot Pie. I think I'll stick to the sandwiches in the future as the Chicken Pot Pie was not so great. The turkey w/ brie and apples sandwich though? Yum. And, of course, there was dessert. Maggie and I split the PB Frrrozzzen Hot chocolate, which is always excellent, Jessica got an apple pie a la mode...I tried it and the ice cream was maybe the best vanilla ice cream I've ever had.

-- We spent Saturday night on Broadway. On our way into the theatre, we were following Doris Roberts (from Everybody Loves Raymond)! We saw Promises, Promises, starring Kristin Chenoweth and Sean Hayes. I really loved the two of them and would see either or both of them again in any show. The songs were fun, the dancing was upbeat. It was an entertaining show. However, we were all in agreement that we didn't really like the way the entire 1st Act was basically about men having affairs. They tried to make light of a situation that isn't exactly light. So, that, unfortunately, was kind of disgusting.



-- Sunday morning we saw Jessica and Kelly off to the airport early. Then, Kate, Maggie and I went to Popover Cafe for brunch. This is a not a place I frequent, so kind of funny that I made it twice in one weekend. Brunch was good and was followed by a little shopping. We then returned home to find out about canceled and delayed flights...oh no! After some quick internet searches and phone calls, both girls rushed out the door to Newark in hopes of making it home to Chicago that day...luckily they both eventually made it out.
It was a great weekend and I am so glad it worked out to get all of us together. It's not easy coordinating five busy schedules!  We commented that the weekend felt long...not rushed or that it went by too quickly. A nice time together.

1 comment:

jessica said...

Thank you for hosting us! I had a wonderful time and appreciate all the amazing planning you did! I can't express how nice it was to all be together in the same place. There's nothing like old friends.