Thursday, December 03, 2009

Home Tour : Kitchen

I know, I know, you must all be so disappointed that this little home tour is coming to an end.  Yes, it's true, we've finally come to the last little room of my humble abode.  My kitchen has created all kinds of problems for me since moving in.  It's undergone many renovations and although it's never going to look great, I think I've finally got it to a place where at least a disaster won't strike again.

This is basically what you see when walking
down the hallway from the front door

This is the only wall of the kitchen that
had anything on it when I moved in.
Not enough cabinets at all!  Plus,
they're not normal sized...plates are
too big to fit in them!

This kitchen cart, left behind by the previous
tenant, has been a lifesaver.  Not only does
it provide some much needed cabinet space,
it's basically my only countertop!

Above the cart, are these green shutters that
I got at an antique shop in Connecticut
last spring....love them!

Here's my newest piece of furniture.  So, my kitchen
stuff is kind of mixed with the red cart, green
shutters, and now these black shelves.  I think
the picture above the shelves ties the colors
together nicely.

On the wall opposite the black shelves is
this atrocious Ikea piece.  It's ugly, but
quite functional.  It has basically become
my pantry.  I need to paint it, just
haven't gotten around to it

Now, to recap my Apartment tour series a bit....

I love my apartment. It's so tiny, but you learn that you really don't need much space when you're forced to live without it. You also learn that you don't need as much "stuff" when you have nowhere to keep it. The worst part is the lack of closet space. At my last apartment in Dallas, I had 2 closets the size of the one I have now....and that was just in my bedroom! I no longer have a coat closet or a storage closet or a pantry or a linen closet. Oh, I do miss my closets.

I've made due with the small space...I have had more than one person who has visited tell me that my apartment is just so comfortable. That's exactly how I want my home to be. I want people to feel comfortable there, and I want to feel cozy when I'm there as well!

So, while the smallness and lack of closets is clearly the big negative, there are many positives. First being that it's in NYC. Clearly, I traded space for my desire to live here. I'm okay with that. But, I also love where in NYC my apartment is...Manhattan. Upper West Side. 1/2 a block to Central Park. On a tree & brownstone lined street. 1/2 a block to the subway that goes directly into my work building (my commute couldn't be easier or faster)! I do really love the location - it would be hard for me to ever leave the UWS.

I'm also learning how to turn my tiny space into the green stuff. Yes, making money!! I rented it out while I was gone over Thanksgiving to a Pennsylvania couple who wanted to spend the Holiday in the City. I made over $500 for the four nights they stayed in my place. Yes! I should have done this a long time ago and intend to try to do this much more often now.

All, in all, it's a great place.  I love where I'm at in my life and wouldn't trade my tiny apartment for anything elsewhere in the world.

3 comments:

Maggie said...

That's so smart to rent the place out. What a genius idea. And I just want to say we had the SAME problem with the plates not fitting into the cabinets when we lived in our first apartment together during law school. It sort of begs the question, how small were plates in the 50's and 60's? and how did I not realize it...
I'm so excited to visit in April. I've been thinking we should invent some sort of bunk bed blow up mattress... make a million dollars selling it to NYC residents.

nicole said...

You forgot one other positive: It's all yours! You aren't sharing with a roomie who may not leave things the way you want, or use your bathroom, or not change the toilet paper roll, or want the temperature different, or make noise when you want quiet, or walk in on you while using the bathroom, or ... oh wait, that's not roomies, that's my kids. :)

tonya said...

Kitchen looks great!!! It's changed so much as I've gotten to see the changes throughout your time there.