Friday, June 05, 2009

Tea for Two

Last weekend was so fun! On Saturday, I met my friend Danise for High Tea at Lady Mendl's in the Irving Inn. I read about this place recently and am so glad we checked it out. It was wonderful!! I emailed Danise because I knew she is a huge fan of going to tea. She loved it, too. We both decided that it was probably the best tea experience either of us have ever had. The food was great and it was plenty...unlike other teas where the food is mediocre and you don't leave feeling satisfied.

First off, Lady Mendl's is located in an adorable Inn in a brownstone in the Union Square area. The outside was even cute with flowers lining the staircase and flower-boxes in the windows.

Inside was just as adorable. Everything was decorated so cute and cozy...the perfect spot for tea. They had 3 rooms they use for tea, but 2 of the rooms were being used for showers that afternoon. This would be an incredible place for a wedding shower!!
We sat down in the back room to begin our tea experience. It was 5-courses, rather than the typical 3-courses. We started out with a small salad and mini asparagus quiche that was so full of flavor for it's tiny size. Next came the traditional tea sandwiches, which was probably my least favorite part. They were not the best sandwiches...I can make a better cucumber sandwich than they did! The third course was our scones w/ creme and raspberry jam....always my favorite part of tea and these did not disappointment. Next came dessert which was a french-vanilla/raspberry cake type thing. The fifth course was a little plate of cookies. Of course, we each had our own pot of tea and they kept our cups filled throughout the entire 1.5hour experience. I choose a Chinese black tea with floral flavors - very good.

After tea, we went over to Union Square to walk through the awesome Farmer's Market and go in some shops in the area. It was such a fun day!

On Sunday, I babysat the kiddos during the parent's CG. It was really nice outside, so we spent the entire morning outdoors on the playground - fun times! I then went to the morning service and then on to brunch with 4 of the girls in my CG. We went to Blockheads, which is a pretty decent Mexican restaurant. They were having brunch and it was really good and great conversation. One of the girls, Erin, is always good for some laughs...she keeps me going the whole time I'm with her. The weather was so gorgeous, so I spent some time reading and people-watching on The Great Lawn in CP. I love my backyard :)

No comments: