Thursday, March 20, 2008

Funny Stories

My friend, Jessica, wrote a blog yesterday about how sweet her friends from high school are and the package we sent her for her 30th birthday. In exchange, I thought I'd write about the hilarious stories our friendships have resulted it! Seriously, I think I've laughed harder with these girls than with anyone else. The kind of laughing that hurts your stomach and causes tears to roll down your face. They are stories that I think of walking down the street and cause me to have a huge grin. When I think of them at home, they can cause me to laugh out loud all by myself! Here are two of my favorites:

A Recent One:

Maggie, Jessica, and I all bit the dust this week and joined Facebook. That's right, we're in our 30's and we're on Facebook! I don't think any of us understand everything that Facebook has to offer or the point of most of it, but it has been fun reconnecting with friends from the past. I think Jessica has been a little more into it than the rest of us. Apparently, you can give "gifts" through Facebook. They are actually just pictures of gifts. You have to pay $1 for them...why anyone would pay $1 for a picture of a gift is beyond me. Occasionally, I guess you're allowed to give a gift for free. Jessica figured all this out within hours of joining Facebook and gave me a free gift....cheese and crackers. That's right, I got a gift of a picture of cheese and crackers. Weird. But, the really funny part was her comment that came along with it...

"Susan, I have no idea what this means, but I got you a gift of cheese and crackers. You're welcome."

I laughed so hard the night I got it and all day long the next day each time I thought about it. Oh, the intricacies of Facebook!

One from a long time ago....summer 1995:

It was the summer after our freshman year in college. We were all back in BoCoMo for a few months and spent a lot of time together! We also spent some time in a "prank war" with some boys we knew. We had received insider knowledge that the boys were planning to hit-up my house on a specific night. We were at my house ready to defend ourselves with water balloons and water guns and I'm sure all kinds of other ammo. I'm not sure who all was there, but I'm sure Ambie was and pretty sure Kate & Kelly were and....well, let's just say it was the whole gang...me, Ambie, Kate, Kelly, Jessica, and Maggie. We were all prepared and it was still quite early so we found ourselves hanging out in the front yard waiting around. Suddenly, we heard a car coming our way (I lived on a cul-de-sac, so not many cars came by). We all rushed to take cover in case it was the guys starting early! Some of the girls ran to the side of the house and some into the garage and I was behind a big bush near the front of the house...you know, out of sight! Except for Ambie.

I look up from behind the bush and see Ambie plastered against the front door, which was smack dab in the middle of the house, facing the street. Not only that, but it was the GLASS door and the wood door behind it was open and all the lights in the house were on. She was clearly visible to anyone passing by, but apparently thought that if she got flat enough against the door the people passing by wouldn't see her.

It looked something like this (although, I'm sure she wasn't kissing the door, this was just the best I could find to give you a visual):























I can still see Ambie pressed against that door in my mind as clearly as if it was yesterday and it still makes me laugh so hard! She clearly wasn't the best at hiding, but it sure gave us a good laugh! The boys never showed up that night, but anticipating their arrival provided one of my favorite funny stories!

Here's a pic of us all 10-years later at Kelly's
wedding in Columbia, November 2005















Kate, Jessica, Kelly, Me, Maggie, & Ambie

2 comments:

jessica said...

Love this entry Susan! Laughter is so important to me that I think that's one big reason you all are my closest friends.

Almost forgot about the watergun night, but I have a picture of it somewhere...all of us looking very serious in front of your house with waterguns.

Susan said...

I would LOVE to see the pic!!