Sooo, back to Whistler! Remember, that's where I was just before Atlanta and I never blogged about it! My family went to Whistler, BC, Canada to celebrate my dad's 60th birthday. It was a lot of fun! We flew into Vancouver and then drove the 2 hours to Whistler...it is a gorgeous drive with mountains on either side and the mountains on the left go down into water. I would love to see it in the summertime! Once we got to Whister, we had a few days of winter fun:
**Shopping in the cute little village of Whistler. A very cute village filled with mostly ski stores, but lots of cute stuff, too.
**Skiing! I only skiied one day. Going into it, I knew I would only ski one or two days as I only had 3 full days there and wanted to spend at least one day doing some shopping and playing with the boys. The rest of my family stayed the full week and had more ski days to take advantage of. After my first day of skiing, I decided I was done. I just don't like it as much as I used to and it is SO expensive ($140/day for the equipment and lift ticket...not worth it in my opinion)! I probably should take some advanced lessons next time I go and see if that doesn't get me more motivated and confident....it worked about 5 years ago and lasted for a few trips. The one day was good though and we skiied all over both Whistler and Blackcomb mountains, so at least I can say I've been there/done that.
**Watching Ryder ski for the first time! Getting him out there, ready and to the lift took just about all of us together (plus someone to watch Beau who was napping in his stroller). Ryder LOVED it. He didn't really ski, but just glided down between Brian's legs. They started out with just a tiny "Bunny Slope" which you got to by riding up a "Magic Carpet" lift. Then, they did a few runs down a Green that you got to on a real Ski Lift that you could ride for free. I never saw just how high or far it went, but it must have been pretty far as I couldn't see the end from the bottom and it always took them a while to come into view. It was a blast watching Ryder ski! I also witnessed his most horrific temper-tantrum ever when they took the ski boots off him - he didn't want to stop!
**Tubing! One of my most favorite snow activities!
**Yummy dinners....we cooked in some and ate out some. Beth cooked chilli one day and I made a Mexican fiesta one night with tacos and queso. Whistler has a lot of fondue and raclette so we tried one raclette restaurant and one fondue restaurant...yum! If you're not familiar with raclette, it is a French meal similar to fondue. You get individual, tiny skillets to melt cheese in to pour over items you put on your plate like veggies, bread, meats, or potatos! At the restaurants, we made sure they came out with a dessert and sang happy birthday to my dad - instead of candles they use sparklers, so that made it even more exciting!
**Scrabble. I recently found out that Beth has a love for Scrabble...she HATES most games. So, when I found this out I was excited that there is a game we might be able to get her to play with us. So, we played two nights in a row. Only problem is that I decided I really dislike Scrabble compared to most games! I guess Beth & I just aren't meant to play games together.
**Sleigh Ride. The whole family went on a horse-pulled sleigh ride over a river and through the woods! It was delightful and included hot chocolate afterwards in a cozy cabin with a fire!
**Playing in the snow. I had fun playing in the snow with Ryder...showing him how to throw a snow ball, make snow angels, and dig igloos! We also went hiking on the ski trails that led from the slopes to our townhouse. I even found a sled on the side of our house that we used on the same trails.
It was a good trip and good to spend time with my family and celebrate my Dad! I took lots of pictures, which you can see here!
And here's a video of Ryder's first trip down a Green slope! Unfortunately, I didn't learn the lesson my friend, Kate, recently learned and you'll either have to tilt your head or your laptop for the second 1/2 of the show!
Although I did like Whistler, I think I would like it even better in the summer. I imagine it's gorgeous and they have a ton of hiking trails and other summertime activities like rafting and horseback riding. I think I'll add that to my list of places I'd like to go - Whistler in Summer!
2 comments:
That looks like such a great trip! I can't believe you took a real sleigh ride with horses in the woods. And I love the picture of Ryder walking by himself in the woods (well, I'm sure he's not really by himself, but you know what I mean).
Awww! Makes me want to go back and do Monarch again with y'all! I held Canon in my lap during the pics and the video and he was very excited for Ryder. (Or Yrder is probably closer to how he says it, if you can figure that one out...)
Post a Comment