Thursday, February 07, 2008

RyRy's Hugs

You may remember how thrilled I was when Ryder learned how to give hugs…they are the best. Well, over Christmas break, I wanted to make sure I got a hug every time I saw him. The first few days, I’d see him and say, “Ryder, can I have a hug” and he’d come running over to give me a big hug and Eskimo kisses (his new favorite). Unfortunately, this lasted all of two days before he decided he didn’t want to give anymore hugs. I’d see him and say, “Ryder, can I have a hug” and he’d simply say “no”. Then, Beth taught me how reverse-psychology works on the kid. For the remaining 2 weeks of my stay, I’d say to him “Hey, Ryder! I really don’t feel like a hug today” and he’d say “I need a hug”! and come running over and I’d get my fill of hugs and Eskimo kisses for the day. During these 2 weeks, I guess he began to associate me with hugs. About a week after I returned to NYC, Beth put him on the phone so I could talk to him (usually this consists of me talking to him and him yelling loudly in his own language). This time however, he just said “I need a hug” and when I explained to him that I was too far away to give a hug, Beth said he hugged the phone!! Then, in Whistler he was quite the hugger. I never even had to ask! I always got up an hour or two after him and when I’d hit the living area, he was sure to run over to me with a good morning hug. A great way to start the day! My favorite, however, was one afternoon when he was playing on the floor with his new train and I just happened to be standing nearby watching him. He looked up, saw me standing there, got up from his train, walked over, hugged me, then went straight back to lying on the floor with his train. I’m not sure what provoked him to do it, but it was so sweet. Last night, I called the house and Brian answered and put Ryder on the phone for me. All Ryder said was “Hug, hug, hug” and then Brian said he hugged the phone, kissed it (I could hear the big smack), and then set it down and went back to what he was doing. Hilarious! I love that he knows who I am now and associates me with hugs and kisses!

1 comment:

Mindy said...

That is really fun! I remember when my first nephew was born I wanted to be the favorite aunt (I was competing with my sister-in-law's two sisters). Who am I kidding - I still strive to be the favorite aunt. I just don't think I am striving hard enough anymore!