Thursday, September 21, 2006

A Taste of Nantucket

Last weekend I spent 48 hours on the island of Nantucket. It was everything I imagined it to be! It isn't the easiest place to get to, so my time was short, but I'll attempt to give you a small taste of my taste of Nantucket. I had a blast playing around with my new camera and I took SO many pictures, so bear with me!

I met my mom and her friend, DeAnn in Boston on Thursday night and we made our way to Nantucket on Friday. First we got on a bus to Hyannis, then a ferry to Nantucket. Here are some pictures from the port in Hyannis and what we saw as we left Hyannis (it was misting, so these are a little dark/fuzzy). By the way, if you haven't figured this out already, you can click on the pictures to see them full-size (this takes time, but a lot of them will look a lot better if you do)!





























Our ferry boat















So, my mom was trying to point out the Kennedy
estate in Hyannis to me. She thought it was one of
these white houses you can see off in the distance
that are right on the shore. We never got confirmation
of that though.















Our first views as we pulled into Nantucket--
the rain was gone!















The old lighthouse in the background, the newer
lighthouse (Brant Point) up front.















One of the two church steeples in downtown
Nantucket. They even had bells! That's something
I don't get to hear in the City!















Brant Point Lighthouse















My first picture on land in Nantucket! These are
houses built on one of the piers.















We spent a lot of time just walking around the town-- cute streets lined with boutiques and other shops. Everything was SO expensive, so I didn't buy much. I do like looking in those types of stores, even if I know I won't be getting anything. I'll never buy one, but I can appreciate a $300 sweater. Here are some pics I took around town





























A tiny house built on stilts over the water















Shops along one of the piers















We did eat some lobster in Nantucket!















Houses built on one of the piers















This pick-up truck was set up so cute!















This was a super cute hat store. My mom said
these hats are really famous.















Where we stayed...



















My mom & DeAnn







































I was amazed at all the beautiful flowers-
especially at this time of year! There were
hydrangeas everywhere!






























On the Straight Wharf Pier















In front of a home















One night I walked over to the Brant Point
lighthouse.



















They have about 22 weddings a weekend on
Nantucket during this time of year. The sign
on the lighthouse was announcing a marriage.















You'll notice that most of the houses are gray
shingles. But, they actually start out as tan
shingles and the salty ocean air turns them from
tan to gray. This is a good example of a house
that is in the process of being re-shingled.















Look at the cute little "Surry"!















I should have walked to the other side of the
island to see this sunset over the water! Must
have been gorgeous!



















On Saturday, we wanted to take a driving tour of the island. We hopped in this lady's suburban and she took us near and far pointing out the sights and giving us the history of Nantucket. Pictures from the tour:

Jetties Beach- closest beach to town















View of cliff beach, from the cliff!















Tommy Hilfiger's house















Oldest house in Nantucket...dates to 1600's, I think?















Working wind mill





























Learning about the cranberry bogs was
interesting, but eating dark chocolate covered
cranberries was even better!















Sconset Beach















Sankaty lighthouse. The light flickers on once
every seven seconds-- I was lucky to get it
in my picture!















The most photographed house on the island.
Why? Because when the roses bloom, all that
lattice is covered in them!















We also took a Harbor Ice Cream Cruise. We
ate orange sherbert while seeing the island by boat.

Our boat































This house is owned by the man who
owns most the businesses/property
in Nantucket



















Okay, look closely for this one. In the distance
right in the middle is a big white house. That's
the Gamble's house. As in Proctor & Gamble!



























John Kerry/Teresa Heinz Kerry's house















So, anyone with a vacation home knows you have to name your house. I enjoyed seeing all the names people picked for their Nantucket houses. Here are a few of my favorites:

"Tucked In"













"Family Ties"















"RELACKX"



















And my personal favorite was this big house
called "Hurry Up and Wait"















Next to the big house was this little guest house,
"Wait"!
















Nantucket is famous for their "Nantucket Red"
fabric. They make EVERYTHING with it...
shirts, pants, shorts, etc... I bought a t-shirt....

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Susan, I enjoyed looking at your awesome Nantucket pics! Thanks for posting so many.

By the way, a paragraph about your move to NYC appeared in the latest Baylor Line! It reminded me that I still haven't sent in an update about our wedding. Hopefully, it will be included in the next one.

Take care!
Bethany