Thursday, June 22, 2006

Tasti D Lite

So, in the past week, I've gotten into a place called Tasti D Lite. They are all over NYC and I've been curious about it because I see so many people walking around eating it. Basically, it's an ice cream alternative shop. Sounds strange, but it's delicious. It's all-natural and tastes just like ice cream! It's a low-cal, low-fat treat! They have over 100 flavors, but only offer about 6 at a time so you never know what you're gonna get until you get there. I think I've been 3 times in the past week. It reminds me of Baylor days when we used to go for a run on the Bear Trail then stop by TCBY. Only now, it's running in Central Park before Tasti D Lite!

So, I haven't talked too much about my job on here. Primarily because some stuff has gone on that I don't feel like I should talk about on here (if you're curious, I can explain, but I've had the chance to share with many of you personally). Things are getting better on that front. There are a lot of things I really like about the job. The accounting system was a complete disaster when I got there. There was no organization, they were way behind on updating the books, there were bank accounts that haven't been reconciled since the church started in 2002, etc, etc, etc... But, I actually really enjoy the accounting work and the bank reconciliations have been the kind of challenge I enjoy! I still haven't really dug myself all the way out of the deep dark hole I was thrown into when I started, but we're getting there and making progress. There is one volunteer who comes in for a few hours each Thursday and as of today, she is MY volunteer for as long as I need her. So, that will be a huge help!! She actually used to do the accounting at the church until she had a baby, so she's somewhat knowledgeable.

Here's some other things to know about my job/office:

  • I get pulled in to help with non-accounting stuff occasionally and I am enjoying the variety. Today, one of my co-workers and I were working on a mailer that needed to go out-- needed to print on fancy paper, make labels, cut some fancy cards to include, etc.... Then, we had to stuff, stamp, label, lick, and mail the packets to 300 people. Oh, and if you're wondering if we personally licked 300 envelopes...we actually have a device called "The Licker" that you run the envelopes through! Anyway, while we were doing all this tedious work up at the front of the office, we got to watch 4 episodes from Season 3 of Friends. That would have NEVER happened at my old job!!
  • I got to send out an evite last week. For those of you who know me well, you know that I love to plan and organize events-- from a small brunch to a big party, I love to entertain. So, sending out an evite for work purposes suited me quite well.
  • My desk is right near all the worship arts guys-- at any given time, they may be singing or strumming their guitars. It is awesome to be working away at the computer and have live worship music to listen to. We are all often walking around the office singing or humming the same tune.
  • They are really, really big on books. I am currently reading two books for work right now and that will usually always be the case at any given time (some people are reading 3 or 4 books at a time just for work). The first is a book that everyone who reports to my direct supervisor is reading and it's called the "21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership". (By the way, they are specifically really, really into leadership books). The second book is one that the whole staff is reading and it is called "Launch: Starting a Church from Scratch" and was written by our lead pastor and one of the other teaching pastor's on staff. It's about church planting (they are also really, really big on church planting). I have actually really enjoyed that book. It has talked a lot about being called to start a church and I have just been able to relate to parts of it because I, in a sense, felt called to come to New York and further to work at the church. It has helped me to sort through some of the struggles I've encountered with the job.
  • Our lead pastor had his 1st baby born this week...a boy named Alex. Only one member on staff currently has a child, a baby named Abby and she is frequently in the office and is a super happy baby!
  • The staff is very, very young. I fall about right in the middle...the youngest is 21, the oldest is 42 (and he's only been on staff about a month-- before him, the oldest was 34).
  • We can literally wear whatever we want. Shorts and flip-flops is totally acceptable. This means a complete shift in wardrobe for me. I feel weird wearing shorts to work, so I probably will never do that. I am loving my skirts and flip flops, though!
  • There is always food! Snacks, snacks, snacks. They buy stuff for when volunteers come in. Plus, there are often breakfast meetings in the office. Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes not so good to have food accessible at all times!

So, it's definitely a different life from the corporate world and actually has taken some adjusting to, but there is definitely plenty to love about it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Susan, you are always so positive! Leave it to you to find so many bright spots in a situation others would have found quite daunting. I'm so glad you are having a great time in NYC!

Bethany