Friday, February 05, 2010

DKNY & Restaurant Week

It's Winter Restaurant Week in NYC again. I was a little less impressed with the list this time around, but did end up going out for two dinners. Last week, I met Kim, Rosella, and Lucy at Mr. Chow in Tribeca. I loved this place! The ambiance was so cool and sleek. The food was amazing. They serve it family style and there were four options for the appetizers and entrees, so since we had four people, we got one of each and all got to try everything. For dessert, we had ice cream and sorbets, which seems pretty typical for Asian restaurants. I would definitely go back to this place - it was a fun experience and great food!

Last night, I went to Japonais with Rosella and her friends Kianti and Deyvis. This place was huge, especially for NYC. It was also packed, so I took that as a good sign. I wasn't as impressed, however, with the meal and the service. It was veryyyyy slow and their timing was a bit off on brining out our food. My appetizer, a crab cake was amazing. My chicken entree was good, but not great...I did however love the veggie rice it came with. For dessert, they only had one choice - a cheesecake, topped with pineapple mousse on an almond crust. Again, good, but not great. We still had fun.

Before dinner last night, Rosella and I went to The New School at Parsons for a Donna Karan speaking event. It was fun to be there...we were hoping to have a Tim Gunn sighting! Alas, no such luck. Donna Karan did an interview and she was a very interesting lady. She mentioned twice how much she loves uniforms - hilarious! She also loves belt bags and wore a HUGE one. She was very different - don't know how to explain it, just different, but in an interesting sort of way. I thought she was supposed to talk about women's workwear, but they really talked to her more about how she got her start, where her inspiration comes from, etc....

3 comments:

jessica said...

High five again for taking advantage of all the amazing things NYC has to offer! So cool that you went to see Donna Karan! You might have to take by the store Mood where they shop on Project Runway!

jessica said...

that should say, "take me by the store Mood!"

Susan said...

I've actually never been to Mood, but that's easy and we should totally go!