Saturday was a little more of a Funday. I volunteered at Kids Club. They were celebrating the 4th Anniversary of KC and had sent out invites to all the kids letting them know. So, we had a ton of kids that day because they knew they'd get some cake and ice cream. They were wild and not very nice this week. Most of the kids are pretty rough and belligerent and can be pretty difficult to work with. Not surprising considering the environment these kids are growing up in. They live in apartments with no furniture and very little food. Most of them do not have fathers and have siblings all from different men. But, one kid, Brandon, really caught my attention on Saturday. He's one of the older guys and he towers over the rest of the kids. He's a really good kid, a leader, and really great with the younger kids. I just saw something different in him and wonder if God hasn't already grabbed a hold of him. I think it would be really great for God to rise up a Godly man in the community where men at all are hard to come by and most that are there are drug dealers. Anyway, I was talking to Shelley about Brandon afterwards and she told me that he is HIV+. He was born with it and his mother died from it 4 years ago. He is one of the few kids who lives with his dad. His twin sister, amazingly, is the only one who is not HIV+. God really has placed on my heart to pray for Brandon....I really think He has big plans to us him in mighty ways!
Saturday night, I went to my first game at the new Citifield, where the Mets now play. It's a really nice stadium, but overall, I didn't think it was tooooo terribly different from the old one. Seems like a big waste of money to me! But, it was fun to see it and get a hot dog and enjoy the game and friends. They were also celebrating the 40th anniversary of the 1969 World Champion Mets team and all the players from that team were there. We got to see Nolan Ryan pitch the first ball to Yogi Berra. I don't know a lot about baseball, but I know enough to know that these guys are big-time! It was a fun night.
Kim, Jen, Lucy and I
The 1969 Mets Team
#30 = Nolan Ryan!
Nolan Ryan shaking hands with Yogi Berra
They were so cute!
Enjoying the game & making use of Jen's super-arm for a self-portrait
My birthday was this week! It didn't feel a whole lot like my birthday....I worked. And then I went to Community Group that night which was fun and they had cupcakes for me...from Buttercup. They were yummy! I am planning to celebrate more this Saturday night.
Erin & I at Community Group
I struck-out for a third time this summer in trying to see one of the many outdoor movies. I met Lucy and Christina to see "Edward Scissorhands" in DUMBO (down under manhattan bridge overpass). It's a gorgeous park where you have views of the East River, Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge behind the movie screen. We picked up Grimaldi's pizza (yum!) around the corner and then tried to go see the movie. Unfortunately, they had hit capacity!! So, we went with thousands of others to another area of the park where we could eat our pizza with the pretty views. It was fun! And crazy that there were so many people out there picnicking with us who were also movie rejects! After we ate, we were able to get a spot to see the last 20ish minutes of the movie. It was the last movie of the summer...next year we need to go to that location earlier in the summer when we can get a spot - it's so great!!
Brooklyn Bridge/Manhattan view and a small portion
of the movie over-flow crowd
No comments:
Post a Comment