Last night we had a picnic in the park followed by an opera performance. There were TONS of people there and we were far, far away from the stage. Too far to see at all and even the sound wasn't so great where we were sitting. So, we chatted the whole time and enjoyed the opera as background music. It was awesome! I even got a bit chilly for the first time in months....I guess fall is on the way!
So, for those who don't know, Friday is my birthday...the BIG one! Yes, I'm turning 30. I'm not really looking forward to it. Actually, birthdays don't really excite me too much anymore. But, I'm not one of those girls who is freaking out about being 30...I'm really comfortable with myself and where I am in life, so it doesn't really bother me. However, this week it has started to bother me just a little bit. I think that's due mostly to the fact that just about everyone I meet here seems to be about 5 years younger than me...that's really starting to get to me. I don't quite get it either. Everyone tells me that people marry later here...so where are all these single 30-somethings? Actually, where are even the married 30-somethings. I had plenty of friends in Dallas who were my age. In fact, almost all of my closest friends were older. I can't quite figure that out. I guess my church is just really, really young and I'm beginning to wonder if I like that too well.
I'm not really looking forward to spending my birthday in the city...it's just making me miss my friends a lot. I do have plans, but I will save that to share the details with you after-the-fact. Spending my birthday with people I don't really know well and who I'm not quite yet comfortable with totally being myself around just doesn't sound nearly as fun as spending it with good friends who know me well. It'll be okay...I'm not really throwing a pity part for myself. I got a HUGE box from my mom/sister today, so opening that is something to look forward to! And two of my high school friends (actually, we date back to elementary school!), Jessica and Maggie (and maybe more...Kelly, Kate, Ambie....any chance you're able to come now??) are coming in just 2 weeks as sort of a celebration of all our 30th birthdays, so I think I'll really feel like I'm celebrating then!
1 comment:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I can understand where you are at a bit. I actually started feeling a little depressed when I turned 29...isn't that weird? It was very strange because I wasn't expecting that. It's funny that a number can make you feel one way or the other...very strange.
Anyway, Matthew and I are in a similar yet different situation here. One because we haven't found a church home yet so we haven't really connected with many people yet. Two because all the people we have met and spent any time with are older than us. It is a strange reality...not that being older than us is bad, I just hoped that we would make friends that are around our age and in our same stage of life.
I hope you have a SUPER birthday! I will remember to be thankful for the day you were born!
Post a Comment