Monday, April 24, 2006

Update on Housing

Just wanted to give everyone an update on my housing situation. Although, I don't really have anything figured out at all. What I do know after walking around different areas is that I really love where I am now-- Upper West Side. It just feels like home to me, but it's very pricey, so I'd really have to luck into something. I'm actually planning to apply for a housing program. It's very difficult to get into, but one of my co-workers got in it. Basically, if I got in, I would get to move into a brand new apartment building in the Upper West Side that is opening in July-- and I'd get a big discount off the market value. I'd be living in style there-- doorman building, laundry in building, workout facility-- but at an affordable price! I'm still trying to find a temporary place to live the next couple of months-- it isn't easy. I could probably extend where I'm staying now, but I don't want to seem like I'm taking advantage of my parent's friends. There is a place a little farther north of here-- still in a great area-- that is for women to stay in short-term. I'm applying there this week. It looks really nice on the internet and I walked by it yesterday and the street is darling and I saw some girls come out and they looked normal, so that's a good sign! It would basically be like living in a dorm again (specifically, a Baylor dorm b/c boys are only allowed in the lobby!), but I'd have my own room. It's affordable and the price comes with breakfast and dinner-- can't beat that! It sounds strange to live in such a place, but I can handle anything for a couple of months. Anyway, those are a couple of things you can be praying specifically for. 1) That short-term housing would fall into place ASAP and 2) I would be accepted to the housing program for a permanent place in July and 3) that God's will of where he wants me to stay would be clearly revealed to me and that I would TRUST that He will provide the perfect situation for me. He has already provided in unimaginable ways in my move here, so I'm expecting the same with my housing. I know He did not bring me this far to put me on the streets! I have decided to quit spending time looking on craigslist. I just haven't found much there that I feel comfortable with and I really hate the idea of having a totally random roommate. I think I've been spending too much time worrying about it and spending time internet searching and really feel like God has asked me just to give it up to Him. I am going to call a broker tomorrow who's name I came across on one of the Christian organization's websites. Maybe he will be able to lead me to some places. I'd really like to be on the west side of Manhattan, even if it isn't Upper West. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that. So, that's it on the housing. Hopefully, I'll have some answers, at least on a temporary place, by the end of the week.

Oh, and my talk at work went well today. I will only be working an occasional Saturday when my boss can't be there or they really need someone because other staff are on vacation or something. I think I'll be okay with that and really feel more like I'm serving, rather than working, so that's good.

Tonight we had a girl's night at the office. A mother daughter duo, Suzette Brawner and Jill Brawner Jones, came in and spoke-- they've recently written a book. Suzette worked with Joe White at Kankuk for many years and also for Gary Smalley. Jill's an aspiring actress in LA. They were entertaining. I also got to meet several really nice girls and I needed that. One girl also just moved here and had only been to the church once, so it was good to connect w/ someone going through the same thing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hang in there "Sister Susan", you're doing great!