Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Movie Madness...the end

I have become a very, very bad blogger as of late. I just can’t seem to get into it. I feel I’ve entered into a bit of a rut in the blogging world. It’s been 4-years now since I started this blog and my adventure to NYC and, honestly, it feels less like an adventure today and more like my real life. I’m happy about that, but as a result, the blog seems a bit mundane as of late. So, bear with me while I figure out where to take this thing going forward.

So, lets recap my month of Movie Madness real quick so I can put that to bed. The weekend of the Oscars, I put it in high gear to see as many movies as possible before the show. I came no where near close to completing my full list, but at least I saw the 10 that were nominated for Best Picture, plus many others. That Friday night, I rented Inglorious Basterds and enjoyed it very much. On Saturday, I did the AMC Best Picture Showcase and saw 5 more movies. I finished up on Sunday with “Up in the Air”, which I found depressing, but I did really like it.

This is the order how I personally liked the Best Picture nominees, from best to worst:

1) The Blind Side (I loved this movie dearly, but acknowledge that it wasn’t really Best Picture quality. In a year with 5 nominees, it would not have made the cut)

2) An Education – Pleasantly surprised by this one. Loved Carey Mulligan and can’t wait to see more from her.

3) Hurt Locker – Pleased it ran away with the most awards. The crowd at City Winery, where I watched the show, went NUTS when Kathryn Bigelow won for Directing.

4) Inglorious Basterds

5) Up in the Air

6) Precious

7) Up -- May have liked it better had it not been the first movie of the marathon…I was still sleepy!

8) Avatar – I’m not much of a fan of anything fantasy, so it didn’t stand much of a chance with me.

9) A Serious Man – Sorry, didn’t get it. Hated the ending.

10) District 9 (ugh…hated it)

I think I would have added “Crazy Heart” to the list and taken off one of those last 2. I felt that this years list for Best Picture was not great and it was kind of a shame that this had to be the year they decided to have 10 nominees. It seemed like they really had to push to come up with 10. But, I was very pleased that “Hurt Locker” came through in the final minutes to take the Best Picture award from “Avatar”. I am not a crazed “Avatar” fan like many seem to be. I was thrilled to see Sandra Bullock and Jeff Bridges win their awards and loved that “Crazy Heart” also won for best song.

I watched the show at City Winery with 4 of my girlfriends… Lucy, Kim, Mindy, and Joy. It was a really fun place to watch and it only cost $6, which included a glass of wine. So, it was basically a free event! It liked watching with my friends and 100’s of others. I think I would try to go back there another year!

4 comments:

tonya said...

Glad to see you blogging again! I can't believe how different our movie tastes were. I thought Hurt Locker was horrible and shouldn't have won! Funny!

Kate said...

sounds fun! i'll have to take your word on the films - i've got a lot of movie watching to catch up on.

did you do an olympic post yet? did i miss it?

Maggie and Ann said...

I know what you mean about trying to figure out where to take the blog. Sometimes I have a hard time getting my inspiration - even when I'm blogging about my own kids. I do hope you keep it up though, I love reading your stuff!

jessica said...

I'm with you about the ending of "A Serious Man." I didn't mind the movie too much (didn't think it was Oscar worthy) but I get so frustrated when there is no closure at the end of a film!!!