I got to go to my first Knicks game last week! I think I have now conquered my goal of seeing all the major sports teams in NYC...Mets, Yankees, Giants, Rangers, and now the Knicks! I love basketball, so it's strange that this was the last team I made it to. The game was so much fun! We bought the cheapest seats, but snuck down to empty seats after the 1st quarter. Partly, because moving down one section made us much closer to the court, but also because I was originally sitting next to the nastiest smelling man you can imagine. I could not stop gagging and even my friends who were sitting on the other side of me could smell him. It was disgusting and unbearable! So, we went downstairs, picked up some nachos and drinks, and walked in the better section like we knew where we were going...no one questioned anything. The Knicks were playing the Spurs and my friends, Christina and Rosella, are Texas girls who decided to cheer for the Spurs. I went with the Knicks! It was a close game and even went into overtime, but the Knicks pulled it off. We all commented that we want to go to another game soon! Adding to the excitement of the night, Eva Longoria and Whoopi Goldberg were there and we could see them!!
This is clearly not a flattering self-portrait of Christina
or I, but she was trying to get that stinky man next to me



Kind of blurry, but Eva Longoria is sitting 2 people to the
right of the basket...the one with her legs crossed
and angled to the side.

Whoopi, sitting court-side, in the middle of this pic.
I also made it to a couple of more Restaurant Week (the never-ending "week") locales. Joy and I met for lunch one day....it's even cheaper at lunch! We went to 21 Club, which is a very old, elite restaurant in mid-town near where we work. It was so cute and fun. The food wasn't quite as good as I would have expected. On Thursday night, Lucy and I went to Le Cirque, which is one of the most well-known restaurants in the city. The atmosphere was great...but they had us sitting in the Wine Lounge, rather than the regular dining room. We were glad though, because we saw the dining room and it was huge and didn't have as much character. I was expecting a lot from the food here and was a little disappointed...not that it wasn't good, just not as great as I thought it would be.
The outside of 21 Club is lined with Jockey statues...it's really cute. The inside cieling and walls are completely covered in hanging antique toys and sports memorbilia...it's different, but it's out of control enough that it is cute.


On Saturday, I spent all day at the movies!!! Lucy and I did the AMC Best Picture Showcase. For $30, you get to see all 5 of the Academy Award nominated Best Pictures, plus unlimited popcorn all day long. That's a pretty good deal anywhere, but especially here in NYC where just 1 movie normally costs $12.50! I wasn't sure what it would be like to sit through so many movies in one day, but it was awesome, I'd totally do it again! It worked out perfect because we'd both already seen Bejamin Button and had no desire to sit through it again. It was the 3rd movie of the day and broke things up for us. It gave me 4 hours to go home and do other things and get a run at the Park in. We decided to see Slumdog Millionaire again since we both liked it so much the 1st time. The other 3 movies, The Reader, Milk, and Frost/Nixon were new to us. The only one I didn't really like was Frost/Nixon. I liked the others, but didn't love them as much as I loved Slumdog Millionaire. I wasn't sure The Academy would like it as much as I did, so I was very excited to see it win so many awards!!
Two weeks ago, I officially signed up for my Movies 101 class. I knew that the class includes 8 weeks of class, but that it could possibly also include some free movie screenings. Class doesn't start until March 12th, but I've already received 2 invitations to movie screenings - yea!! I couldn't go to the first one, but got to go to one on Sunday morning. I can even take friends, so Mindy went with me. We loved it! We got to see "American Affair", which is a movie that will begin opening in theatres near you next weekend. I liked the movie, which was a fictional, yet plausible take on the JFK assasination. Afterwards, my soon to be professor interviewed the director of the film. This was the director's first feature film...he's only 32! The interview was really interesting and it gave me a sneak-preview of what to expect in clase - I think I'm gonna love it!
I watched the Oscars at home alone this year. Our book club had discussed having a party and I had at one point volunteered my place, but then my week started looking so busy that I didn't want to worry about cleaning and cooking and everything. And, everyone else kind of felt the same way - so we all watched alone and re-capped via email today. Kind of sad, but true! I enjoyed DVRing it and starting late and skipping the commercials! I thought it was a good show and liked how they presented the awards this year...allowed us to see more celebrities on-stage.
5 comments:
movie class? fun! can't wait to hear all about it.
Yay! I'm so excited about your movie class. I want you to report back to me after every screening and class :)
I think the woman sitting next to Whoopi Goldberg also looks sorta famous. She looks like the woman who was on Law & Order, the police chief. I'm probably on crack, but I swear that's what I thought when I looked at the picture.
It's true, Maggie probably is on crack. Typical Maggie.
Even when she's pregnant, geesh!!
I think she's probably right, though. That lady did have a familiar look to her, but I wasn't sure if I was on crack either.
Post a Comment