Thursday, July 24, 2008

Busy Times

Things have been super busy around here! I really do not know where the month of July has gone. So fast, that’s for sure!

I have officially moved in to my new apartment. “Moved” being used loosely. I’m there and all of my stuff is there, but it is still a complete wreck! I just haven’t been home enough to get to every box and organizing and fixing up/decorating is definitely on the back-burner. I think I love it, but I can’t wait to be completely settled. The neighborhood is so quiet and I feel like anyone who passes by my building is my neighbor. I swear it is 10 degrees cooler up there. I’m not sure if it’s the trees lining the street and providing shade, or the fact that you’re away from all the tall buildings and congestion of mid-town, or possibly because I’m so close to the Central Park Reservoir that seems to always have a great breeze blowing off of it. On that note, I can’t wait to go for my first run around the Reservoir – have always wanted to do it and now I’m sure I will do it a lot!

In addition to moving, here’s what’s been going on:

- Work is really busy. Our year-end is 6/30, so this is busy season for us. Our E&Y auditors come in on Monday and will be here for over a month. We’ve been working hard to have things ready for them when they get here and hopefully it will be smooth sailing while they are in our office.
- I had my first book club meeting ever! We read “The Gravediggers Daughter”. I only got part of the way through since I joined in late, but I like the book and intend to finish it! (Several of the girls did not like it, so I don’t necessarily recommend running out to purchase it). We had our meeting at Socarrat, a new paella restaurant in Chelsea – super cute place and good food!
- Friday night I went to an engagement party for Contessa & Paul. Contessa is in my church CG. I knew they were getting engaged any day as she had told me a few weeks ago that the wedding was already basically planned (date set, venues booked, dress bought). Anyway, the party was fun, but most definitely the strangest engagement party ever. In fact, I left wondering if they even are officially engaged yet. We were all confused and can’t get any answers out of Contessa. I won’t go into all the details here, just know, it was strange!! Anyway, I don’t doubt the wedding will occur and some of the girls and I are talking about a long weekend in San Fran/Napa to go to the wedding next Memorial Day – would be a blast, for sure!
- Sunday, I babysat kids in the morning and then spent a lot of time shopping in my new neighborhood. I had lots of kid’s gifts to buy!!! My CG is providing dinners for my pastor & his family this week as they just had a baby born about a month ago. I was in charge of getting a baby gift and fun games or toys for the older kids. The Upper West Side has great children’s stores so it was fun to shop for this!
- The weekend was a big one for Contessa because she also got baptized on Sunday. I was so happy for her for taking this symbolic step. She had been wanting to do it for a long time and kept putting it off. Kenny, one of the pastors, did a great job of making it a very meaningful baptism.
- Monday night I went to my 2nd Yankee’s game and most likely the last game I’ll attend at the historic ballpark. The new stadium looks near completion and very nice! The game was fun and after an extremely hot weekend it cooled down a bit that night, although, we were still sweating just sitting still. I had my eyes peeled for a Madonna sighting, but no such luck! (But did I tell you that I now know where she lives here?!?!)

-Speaking of baseball, the All-Star games were held in NYC this year. They had a parade right down 6th Avenue, the street my office overlooks! We went down and watched in person for a bit, but it was very slow moving and it was all the old guys so we didn't know most of them. We did see Tommy Lasorda, Yogi Berra, Ozzie Smith! From 14 flights up, we saw A-Rod!!



And in the midst of all this, I've managed to turn down free tickets to the Baseball All-Stars Home Run Derby (probably a $500+ ticket) and the American Idol concert! Geez!

The next week should continue to be just as busy until I leave Friday for Iowa for my cousin’s cowboy weddin’. I will update as I can!!

No comments: