Monday, January 08, 2007

Gaseous Odor!

So, in case you're wondering... I am alive and breathing okay! If you haven't seen any news today, I'll fill you in. Manhattan and surrounding areas were filled with a strange gas-smelling odor this morning. I didn't notice it walking to work, but I was running late and probably concentrating on getting there and wouldn't have noticed the smell. Once in my building, I could smell it. In certain corners of my floor, it was very strong. The building facility people closed the vents so that no outside air was coming in and they reported that we were safer to stay inside than go out. It was very odd-- no one seems to know what caused it. It covered the majority of Manhattan and New Jersey as well.

It was another fun weekend. I did spend some time relaxing, though, since I’d been with people non-stop for 3 weeks straight. On Friday night I went to see Dreamgirls. It’s the beginning of awards season and I like to try to see as many nominated movies as I can. I am WAY behind this year. The Golden Globes are next Monday and I haven’t put a dent in the list of nominees. So, Dreamgirls was an attempt to work on that. It was a fun movie…great singing! Afterwards, I met up with a bunch of Journey folks at a sports bar where they were playing darts and pool. I was just there for a little while before heading home for the night.

Saturday, I met Joy, Kristin, and Hillary for brunch at Pietressanta. This is one of my favorite Italian restaurants just down the street from my place, but I didn’t know they had brunch until Joy told me on Friday. It was good, but I think I like their Italian menu better than their brunch! Afterwards, Joy and I headed to Brooklyn to meet Stan (Joy’s crush!) and go to the Brooklyn Museum to see the Annie Leibovitz exhibit. For those who aren’t familiar with her, she’s a photographer- probably most famous for the Vanity Fair cover she did a while back of a very pregnant Demi Moore. The exhibit was great- had a ton of her magazine photos, plus a lot of personal pictures of her family. It was very interesting and fun to see.

I spent Saturday evening and most of Sunday at home just relaxing- it was great!!! I finally managed to get out and go for a run in the Park late on Sunday afternoon and went to The Apostles church that night. It was my second time to visit there and I think I liked it better this time. It's very small and I felt a little uncomfortable/out of place the first time. I am trying to decide if I am going to commit to going there or to Redeemer and I’d like to make that decision this week….it’s Community Group sign-up time and I need to get involved in one. I ran into a high school/college acquaintance at church. There are not too many people in this world who went to both my high school and my college so it’s pretty random that we could end up going to the same church in NYC. Although I haven’t seen him since moving here, I did know beforehand that he goes to church there, so it wasn’t a huge surprise to run into him. It was great to see a familiar face and catch-up a little bit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to let you know just how much fun I had in NYC! Thanks so much for being such a great hostess.

How is the new job? Glad you did not get sick from the unknown gas. The guy you ran into at church, is this the person you know who is in the bradway play?
How was the exhibit? Would have loved to seen this. Something else you probably did not know about me.

Elizabeth